Series 1, Episode 04: STICK
If you’re using the player above to listen to this episode, click here to open this page in a new browser window so you can visit the links below without losing your place.
In this episode, Steve gets repeatedly stuck, Helen tries to find out why certain things stick in her daughter’s head and Matt ties himself in knots. Stick knots, to be specific:
00:45 – Helen’s bit
10:15 – Matt’s bit
22:05 – Steve’s bit
If you’d like inbox updates about this podcast and our plans for future live shows, join our mailing list. If you’re into merch, DVDs, downloads or books check out the Spoken Nerd Shop. If songs are your thing, Helen has created a free album on Bandcamp with all the tracks from Series 1.
Corrections and clarifications:
- none, so far…
Here’s a heap of unnecessary detail from this episode:
- Classic Nanette Newman advert for Fairy Liquid on YouTube.
- The best chalk lines from Walter Lewin, MIT lecturer in Classical Mechanics class.
- Violin string bowed in slow motion.
- More “stick slip” effect with Steve’s Chinese Spouting Bowl video.
- Subitising skills in children.
- Jo Van Herwegen’s research into Number Sense development.
- Want to improve your pre-schooler’s number foundations? Jo’s research can help.
- A song to get yousoo-bi-tize-ing like a pro (albeit with upsettingly fake guitar-playing).
- The Ashley Book Of Knots.
- The International Guild Of Knot Tyers, as sent in by listener Randy Cox.
- What is a trefoil knot?
- Can Matt help tie a knot in the London Underground?
- Tying a Tube Knot: behind the scenes.
And to help you visualise what on earth Matt was up to…
A Podcast Of Unnecessary Detail is part of the Acast Creator Network. Thanks for listening!