Series 2, Episode 04: INPUT AND OUTPUT
If you’re using the player above to listen to this episode, click here to open this page in a new browser window so you can visit the links below without losing your place.
In this episode, Steve explains how computers talk to each other behind our backs, Helen co-writes a song with a popular internet search engine (if you can’t work out which one, Google it) and Matt brings an Oscar-winning algorithm to the table.
- 00:56 – Steve’s bit
- 16:18 – Matt’s bit
- 36:24 – Helen’s bit
This series is sponsored by Brilliant.org, the place to learn maths and science through interactive online lessons. Start your free trial at Brilliant.org/apoud, and the first 200 Unnecessary Detail listeners who sign up for annual membership will get 20% off on the same link.
If you’d like inbox updates about this podcast and our plans for future live shows, join our mailing list. If you’re into merch, DVDs, downloads or books check out the Spoken Nerd Shop. If songs are your thing, Helen has created a free album on Bandcamp with all the tracks from Series 1 and 2.
Corrections and clarifications:
- MikoKisai (and many others since he first noticed it…) has kindly pointed out that at various points, Steve gets his acronyms wrong: API is short for application programming interface, not application protocol interface. Cheers Miko!
- Steve Howe also pointed out an error from Helen: A major and F# minor are the “same” key, not A major and C# minor as she said.
- Darci Peeps on YouTube pointed us towards a great video from Iñigo Quilez, the developer on Brave whose phone number was used as the seed for generating realistic vegetation.
And here’s a heap of Unnecessary Detail from this episode:
- Looking for Matt and Steve’s API? It’s over here.
- Things to buy on Maths Gear.
- Things to buy at the Spoken Nerd Shop.
- Matt’s ludicrous Christmas Tree Lights video is on YouTube, and his code is on GitHub.
- Steve’s self-updating YouTube thumbnail.
- Tom Scott’s self-updating YouTube video title.
- Ken Perlin’s entry in the Academy Awards database.
- Pixar artist, designer and developer Iñigo Quilez tweeted about changing his phone number during the production of Brave.
- Matt and Seb are still working on the video mentioned in this episode, in the meantime check out Seb Lee-Delisle’s work and his YouTube channel.
- Helen’s Algorithm Song and lyrics to download free on Bandcamp.
- Watch the video filmed at Ada Lovelace Day – Live!
- More about Ada Lovelace Day.
A Podcast Of Unnecessary Detail is part of the Acast Creator Network. Thanks for listening!