Series 2, Episode 09: LIVE AND KICKING PART 2
Click here for more episodes
If you’re using the player above to listen to this episode, click here to open this page in a new browser window so you can visit the links below without losing your place.
Matt, Helen and Steve introduce more favourite moments from their recent live shows, performed at London’s Bloomsbury Theatre. With comedian Rachel Wheeley talking about the Greenwich Time Signal, biochemical engineer Michael Sulu on the potentially fatal difference between tubes and pipes, and zoologist Hana Ayoob sharing the Honey Badger love. Plus Matt on fast food, bad maths and McCombinations, and Helen with a song about losing love at the circus:
- 1:27 – Matt’s bit
- 15:09 – Rachel’s bit
- 24:02 – Michael’s bit
- 34:45 – Hana’s bit
- 44:00 – Helen’s bit
This series is sponsored by Brilliant.org, the place to learn maths and science through interactive online lessons. Start your free trial at Brilliant.org/apoud, and the first 200 Unnecessary Detail listeners who sign up for annual membership will get 20% off on the same link.
Want to get in touch? We’re on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like inbox updates about this podcast and our plans for future live shows, join our mailing list. If you’re into merch, DVDs, downloads or books check out the Spoken Nerd Shop. If songs are your thing, Helen has created a free album on Bandcamp with tracks from Series 1 and 2.
Corrections and clarifications:
- The original version of this episode contained a naughty word that wasn’t beeped out – oops! We’ve fixed it now.
And here’s a heap of Unnecessary Detail from this episode:
- Look! The McCombination as listed in the On-line Encyclopedia Of Integer Sequences, in all its mathematically useless glory!
- Get your signed copy of Humble Pi from Maths Gear, and check Matt’s website for when his filmed comedy special becomes available at some point in the future.
- Listen to the pips on Wikipedia.
- If you want to see when to set your watch, relative to the pips on digital radio, Rachel’s slides about how to do it is below.
- Find out more about Rachel’s daily podcast “Walk The Pod”.
- The Douglas Adams Memorial Lecture for Save The Rhino.
- Got a question for Michael? Try his twitter @michaelsulu.
- Check out Michael’s slides about pipes vs tubes below.
- Here’s some honey badgers!
- Stoffel, the honey badger that can escape from anywhere.
- Hana Ayoob has a website where you can find links to all the brilliant and varied stuff she does.
- Hana is also on twitter @hana_sciart and instagram @hana_sciart.
- Download a studio version of Helen’s song “Strongwoman with a Broken Heart” for free on Bandcamp.
- Check out all the brilliant stuff Bec Hill does, from comedy to TV to books to live shows.
Rachel’s slides about how to set your watch to the pips:
Michael Sulu’s slides on Pipes vs Tubes:
A Podcast Of Unnecessary Detail is part of the Acast Creator Network. Thanks for listening!